Wednesday, September 8, 2010

Ignorance Of History


I was looking at some pictures of the recient Fan Expo posted on a facebook page. And I came across this picture. The caption read "French artillery officer. (Battlefield: 1412 I think?) ". WHAT? Battlefield:1412? Does she seriously think its from a game? Really? And 1412? 1412 would be knights in plate armour. Try 1812. What are they teaching kids now? You know the War of 1812? Google it. Or Wikipedia or read a book, geez. And to be specific he is a British artillery private. Its a historical military uniform not a costume. Did it not occur to this girl to ask the guy wearing it? That level of ignorance of history just really bothers me.

2 comments:

  1. You ask some good questions. Did you put any of them to the girl who posted the picture & caption? If not, then perhaps you should :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there --- this fine gentlemen is a member of our reenactment unit, the Royal Artillery --- a cannon unit. The Royal Artillery fought for the British during the War of 1812 --- no French here, I'm afraid. I agree with what you say. It's quite awful how little folks know about their own history.

    ReplyDelete